Our Family

The Pasteris Family

Peter Pasteris

Peter Pasteris

The Pasteris name can be traced back to Savoy, France (Mountain Region of South France) and the French Revolution in 1789 where Four Noblemen Pasteris brothers avoided death by fleeing over the French Alps into Northern Italy in a town called Villareggia just north of Torino/Turin, Italy (Piedmont Region).  Not too long after, one of them (Andrea) had a son, Martino Pasteris who eventually became the mayor of this village where he held that post for over twenty years.  He was a huge agriculturist who brought water into the fields for irrigation purposes.  Two of his sons (Andrew and Alex) left their younger sister (Auxilia) and youngest brother (Ernesto) behind to begin a new life in the United States.  They settled in a little town called Carbon Hill just 20 miles south of Joliet, Illinois in 1903.  Andrew married Angela Gianetti in 1907.  They lived in Joliet, Illinois and had six children.  The youngest, Peter Joseph Pasteris was born on December 11, 1919.

Upon returning to Joliet after fighting in World War II, Peter Pasteris married Mary Percich on June 4, 1944.  She had moved to Joliet, Illinois from Colgate, Oklahoma.  Mary came to Joliet by herself at age 20 to work in the Joliet Ammunition Plant during World War II.  Prior to that, she helped harvest cotton for $1.00 per day.  At the beginning of their marriage, Peter worked as an Operating Engineer running heavy equipment.  Fourteen years later, they had a son and named him Peter Joseph Pasteris Jr.  In early January of 1961, the Pasteris family purchased the current Northfork Farm and moved to Oswego, Illinois.

Peter Sr. continued to work as an operator, as he became the first operator for his cousins, Pete and Tony Ferro who started their own construction company (P.T. Ferro) in 1964.  Pete Sr. worked for the company until his retirement in 1991.  Mary worked for the Joliet Paper Mill and went back to the Joliet Ammunition Plant during the Vietnam Ira.  She eventually became a house wife on the farm by the middle 1970’s.  Pete Sr. and Pete Jr. worked the Northfork Farm ground on a small time basis during the early and middle 70’s until Pete Jr. attended college at Illinois State University.

Pete Jr. began teaching and coaching at Joliet West in 1980.  He later earned his Master’s and Doctorate Degrees and served as a high school principal and superintendent until his retirement on June 28, 2013.  He met his wife Laurie Fox from Stockton, Illinois, and they were married on July 31, 1993.  Laurie was an elementary teacher up until she gave birth to their two children (Carly, 1995 and Emma, 1997).  The four make their home at Northfork Farm.  They built the new home on the property in 2001, and the new horse barn in 2005.  They burned down the original farm house in 2002 with the help of the Plainfield Fire Department and Packer Engineering. You can find many pictures of the farm (old and new) and family members in the photo gallery section on the website.